Transition Year is a popular option for students in Newport College. It is designed to act as a bridge between the Junior Cycle and Leaving Certificate programmes. Providing students with the skills to become independent and self-directed learners.
It is tailored to meet the needs and interests of each individual group. The aim of the programme is to: ‘promote the personal, social, educational and vocational development of pupils and to prepare them for their role as autonomous, participative, and responsible members of society (DES).
Aims of Transition Year:
- It provides a different way of learning
- It allows opportunity to discover and develop strengths and
- It builds self-confidence and allows students to realise their own potential
- It develops a sense of responsibility and it allows students time to mature
- It develops life skills transferable to further education and the world of work.
- It develops links between students and the community